On February 8, 2018 the Minister of Education announced an increase of 0.5% or $6.6M in provincial funding for public Education for the 2018/19 school year. Although there will be no new funding from the province for Garden Valley, additional funding will be realized due simply to increased enrolment and projected increased expenditures.
The overall impact is estimated at approximately $924,000 or 3.2% although there are two significant grants that have not yet been announced:
• Class size initiative (which was renamed to Early Years Enhancement grant)
• General Support Grant
Level 2 and 3 funding for Special Needs students has been frozen at 2017/18 levels.
The increased funding will be required to support the costs of additional students in the Division. The Province currently supports about 68% of the cost of educating a student in Garden Valley. The remaining 32% is provided primarily by the local property tax payer.
The Board has scheduled a Budget Consultation meeting on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at Parkland Elementary School in Winkler. The general public is invited to attend and engage the School Board in budget planning discussions.
The Board will approve the 2018 Special Levy at its meeting on March 13 and submit the approved 2018/2019 School Division budget by March 31, 2018.
Download the GVSD press release regarding the February 9, 2018 provincial funding announcement for public education: GVSD_press_release_funding_announcement_Feb_9_2018.pdf