1. J.R. Walkof School Presentation
- Principal Larry Schroeder and staff members Brenda Untereiner-Falk, Patricia Hiebert, Cindy Rempel, and Linda Wall presented an overview of an early literacy intervention program at the school. Over the course of the year 130 students in grade 1-4 have been supported in meeting their reading goals.
- 9 enthusiastic students were also present and provided a treat to trustees by reading to them.
2. 2012-2013 Teacher Hiring
- Currently, 57 of 61 positions have been filled.
- Approximately 85% of the positions were filled with candidates who were already working in a permanent or term position in the division.
3. Board Meetings 2012-2013
- The board will continue to hold two public board meeting each month – the first Tuesday of the month at 8:00 pm and the fourth Tuesday of the month at 8:00 am.
- Standing committees will retain flexibility but schedule monthly meetings and only meet if needed, as determined by the standing committee chair.
- The board also wishes to pursue the notion of an ad hoc community connections committee and several trustees will prepare a feasibility report for the September board meeting.
- Board re-organization will take place at the September 11, 2012 board meeting.
4. Middle Years Assessment Results and Grade 12 Standards Tests Results for Semester 1
- The middle years assessment results for 2011-2012 indicate that GVSD grade 7 students for the most part are performing above the provincial average in areas of numeracy. However, grade 8 students in GVSD are performing below the provincial average in comprehension and expository writing.
- Semester 1 results of the grade 12 standards tests indicate that GVSD students are performing at the provincial average in Math and English.