1. Emerado Centennial School Presentation
• Principal Garth Doerksen was joined by teachers Janice Krahn, Tammy Friesen, Kevin Giesbrecht, and Erich Hirschfeld as they provided an overview of their grade 8 professional learning community (PLC).
• The focus of the PLC has been on student reading comprehension of both fiction and non-fiction text.
• Teachers work together to plan instruction, share resources and strategies, and student assessments and strategies to improve student achievement in reading comprehension.
• A celebration: recent assessments indicate that 70% of grade 8 students are reading at or above grade level.
2. Staffing Update
• To date, for the 2014-2015 school year, 39 positions have been posted, 25 have been filled.
3. GVSD Enrolment / Ad Hoc Committee
• The mandate of this committee is to review student enrolments and examine issues around students not attending school.
• The committee will focus on students who are compulsory school age (age 6-18) but not enrolled in public, private, or home schooling.