1. Southwood Elementary School Presentation • Principal Moyra Vallelly was joined by teacher Denay Reimer, and parents Marilyn Hart (Southwood School Parent Advisory
Council) and Christina Heide (Hochfeld School Parent Advisory Council) to provide an overview of 3 programs currently underway in the Southwood unit - the Hochfeld Ladies Coffee Morning; the START program – Setting Time Apart for Reading Together; and the ECDI program. • The Hochfeld Ladies Coffee Morning is an opportunity for women to connect with one another as a community while connecting with their local school at the same time. • The START and ECDI programs are offered to pre-school children to develop literacy and numeracy learning in a fun and interactive setting and giving children a stronger start for entering school.
2. Grade 3 Assessment Results 2014-2015 • Trustees reviewed the grade 3 assessment results for schools in GVSD for 2014-2015. It was noted that GVSD students are performing comparable to provincial averages in most categories in numeracy, while performing slightly above the provincial average in most categories of reading. • Since the start of the GVSD early years literacy initiative in 2012-2013 there has been an increase each year in the percentage of students meeting grade 3 reading expectations. • It was also noted that 47% of the current grade 3 students in the division are considered English as an Additional Language (EAL) students.
3. 2015-2016 Provincial Budget Announcement • On January 29, 2015, the Minister of Education and Advanced Learning announced an increase of 2% or $25.0M in provincial funding for public education in the 2015-2016 school year. • New funding from the Province for Garden Valley School Division is estimated at approximately $280,000. • The Province currently supports about 68% of the operating costs of the School Division. The remaining 32% is provided by the local property tax payer.
4. 2015-2016 Budget Consultation Meeting • The Board has scheduled a Public Budget Consultation/Information meeting from 4:00 until 7:00 pm on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at the Garden Valley Collegiate new cafeteria / commons area. • The general public is invited to attend to see the recently renovated space as well as connect with the School Board in a budget information session.