1. Winkler Elementary School Presentation
- Principal Barbara Neufeld, along with teachers Ashly Dyck, Sarah Hawley, Mary-Anna Aaldyk-Doerksen, Laura Unger, Alwin Friesen, and Cindy Kalansky presented an overview of the Winkler Elementary School Plan.
- There are 3 goals on the school plan: literacy, math, and professional learning communities.
- Working as professional learning communities, teachers at Winkler Elementary School are collecting student achievement data and collaborating on instructional strategies to improve student learning in math and literacy.
2. Capital Projects Update
- Southwood School Staff Room Renovation – Concrete grade beams have been poured. Structural steel and roof joists are in place. Completion is anticipated by March 2016.
- JR Walkof Portable – Interior work is progressing and painting has taken place. Completion anticipated by February 2016.
3. 2016-2017 Provincial Budget Announcement
- On January 5, 2016, the Minister of Education announced an increase of 2.55% or $32.5M in provincial funding for public Education in the 2016/17 school year.
- New funding from the province for Garden Valley School Division is estimated at approximately $100,000 or 0.4%.
- The Province currently supports about 68% of the operating costs of the School Division. The remaining 32% is provided by the local property tax payer.
4. 2016-2017 Budget Consultation Meeting
- The Board has scheduled a Public Budget Consultation/Information meeting starting at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at Parkland School in Winkler.
- The general public is invited to connect with the School Board in a budget information session.