1. Emerado Centennial School Presentation • Principal Garth Doerksen, joined by Vice Principal Jacqui Kusnick and staff members Becky Stewart, Dorothy Dyck, Rhonda Rempel, and Melanie Howe provided an update on the ECS school plan. • The school had established a literacy goal of having 80% of students reading at or above grade level. According to
assessments completed in May 2016, 87% of students were reading at or above grade level, with significant gains noted in all assessed areas! • The second goal involved teachers being involved in professional learning communities. The school team noted several benefits for both staff and students, with the main benefit being the improvement of student learning.
2. Early Years Literacy Results – May 2016 • GVSD goal is for 85% of K-4 students reading at or above grade level. • Fountas and Pinnell assessment results for May 2016 for Kindergarten to Gr. 4 students indicate that overall, 79% of students are reading at or above grade level. o Kindergarten = 74% o Gr. 1 = 76% o Gr. 2 = 81% o Gr. 3 = 81% o Gr. 4 = 78%
3. Middle Years Assessment Results 2015-2016 • 2015-2016 results indicate that GVSD is slightly above the provincial average in the percentage of students meeting grade level expectations in Gr. 7 Math, Gr. 7 Student Engagement and Gr. 8 Reading Comprehension and Expository Writing. • Grade 7 Math - Above the provincial average in all 5 categories. o Area of greatest strength = ordering decimals (78.1%). o Area of greatest challenge = calculating and explaining mental math problems (50.5%). • Gr. 7 student engagement - Above the provincial average in 3 of the 5 categories. o Area of greatest strength = students accepting responsibility for assignments (65.8%). o Area of greatest challenge = engaging in self-assessment (43.5%). • Gr. 8 English Language Arts - Above the provincial average in all 6 categories. o Area of greatest strength = students understand key ideas and messages in a variety of texts (70.8%). o Area of greatest challenge = responding critically to a variety of texts (56.3%). • Assessment data is reviewed by schools and teachers in their Professional Learning Communities with the goal to improve student achievement.
4. Gr. 12 Provincial Standards Tests Results – Semester 1 – 2015-2016 • Gr. 12 Essential Math - Results are higher than the provincial average, in both mean scores and pass rates. GVSD PROV o Mean score = 68.9 59.7 o Pass rate = 88.8 69.6 • Gr. 12 Pre-Calculus - Lower than the provincial average in both mean score and pass rates. GVSD PROV o Mean score = 60.1 66.0 o Pass rate = 69.7 78.9 • Gr. 12 English Language Arts - Consistent across all categories of the test with provincial averages. GVSD PROV o Mean Score = 67.7 68.4 o Pass rate = 92.2 88.8
• Assessment data is reviewed by schools and teachers in their Professional Learning Communities with the goal to improve student achievement.