1. Parkland School Presentation • Principal Janice Krahn was joined by staff members Joanne Doerksen and Hilde Strempler to present an overview of the Cultural Day activities at Parkland School. • The Cultural Day is all about developing a sense of community, where relationships are built with an appreciation and understanding of one another and the diversity
that exists at Parkland School. • At Parkland School, everyone belongs, where they sing their song and live in harmony with neighbours, friends and family.
2. Strategic Plan Early Years Literacy Initiative – Fall Assessment Results • All GVSD grade 1-4 students have been assessed in literacy using a Fountas and Pinnell Literacy Assessment. • Currently 67% of GVSD grade 1-4 students are reading at or above grade level. The goal is to have 85% reading at or above grade level by June 30/17. • Results indicate that, although there are still many students who experience summer reading loss, there are increasingly more students who maintain their reading gains or even increase levels over the summer.
3. Grade 12 Provincial Standards Tests Results – Semester 2; 2015-2016 • English Language Arts – The GVSD mean score (63.1%) and pass rate (82.8%) was slightly lower than the provincial average = (MS = 65.7%; PR = 82.8%). • Essential Mathematics – The GVSD mean score (70.1%) and pass rate (87.9%) was higher than the provincial average (MS = 59.9% and PR = 71.8%). • Pre-Calculus Mathematics – The GVSD mean score (67.8%) and pass rate (84.3%) was slightly higher than the provincial average (MS = 66.6% and PR = 78.4%). • Test results are reviewed by high school principals and teachers to adapt instruction where needed.
4. 2015/2016 Financial Audit – The Board approved the audited financial statements for 2015-2016.
5. GVSD Student Enrolment - September 30, 2016 = 4447, which is 100 students more than projections for the 2016-2017 school year.