1. Southwood Elementary School Presentation
• Principal Linda Dyck, along with teachers Denay Reimer and Sarah Hawley (with regrets from teacher Melanie Jantzen), shared how Professional Learning Communities are working at Southwood School.
• PLC’s have resulted in greater collaboration among teachers, leading to honest and vulnerable conversations where staff learn and grow together to improve student learning.
• As part of their PLC’s, teachers do pre-assessments, collect student achievement data, and plan strategies for supporting student learning.
2. Board Budget Exhibition
• On February 22, 2017 from 7:00-8:30 pm at the GVC Gymnasium, all members of the community are invited to attend a Budget Exhibition that will celebrate educational excellence by showcasing the outstanding programs, students and staff supported by the annual division budget.
• As part of the exhibition, the Board will host a separate budget exhibit focused on the GVSD budget.
• There will be performances by the NPC Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Choir, and students from Winkler Elementary School.
• Parents, community members and staff are encouraged to come out to see the great educational activities taking place in the division, engage in conversation with trustees, staff, students and enjoy refreshments provided by the NPC baking program.
3. Additional Staffing for GVC and Parkland Schools
• Due to increasing student enrolment numbers at Garden Valley Collegiate and Parkland Elementary School, additional staffing has been provided to accommodate the increase in student numbers.
• The additional staffing at both schools will be used to reduce some large class sizes.