1. Border Valley School Presentation – During the 2009-2010 school year, Border Valley School had two teachers pilot student led conferences. Teacher Patrick Derksen presented a video explaining how student led conferences work. Students, parents, and teachers interviewed commented on the benefits of student led conferences.
2. Substitute Teacher Handbook – A GVSD substitute teacher handbook will be provided to all substitute teachers. The handbook was created to familiarize substitute teachers with divisional information and procedures.
3. Prairie Dale School Selects Team Name – While the construction of the new school has just started, the students, staff, and parents have been working on building school identity by selecting a school team name. Prairie Dale School teams will be known as the “Stingers”.
1. Northlands Parkway Collegiate – On May 18 fifteen groups of teachers from GVC met with Prairie Architects to provide feedback into the design development process for the new high school. On June 8 an integrated design process (IDP) meeting was held with the architects, GVC administration, trustees, senior administration, the Public Schools Finance Branch, as well as the consultants to continue the planning and design of Northlands Parkway Collegiate.
2. Walkway at Emerado and JR Walkof –The Division and the City of Winkler will partner on the construction of a pedestrian walkway between Emerado Centennial School and JR Walkof School. The City has tendered the project which is scheduled for construction this summer.
3. School Projects Update – Construction has begun on several projects including the Plum Coulee School gym roof and GVCTEC phase 5 which includes two classrooms, bathrooms, and office space. Both projects are expected to be completed for September 2010.
1. Report on 2010-2011 Recruitment – Of the 41posted teaching positions, 35 have been filled with the remaining positions to be filled within the next few weeks.
2. Division Office Summer Hours – Beginning July 2, the division office will be open to the public Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. The Division Office will be closed on Fridays from July 2 through August 13, 2010. Regular business hours will resume Monday, August 16.