1. GVC Graduation – Congratulations to the 255 GVC students who graduated with a high school diploma. The School Board encourages the class of 2010 with the words of Lilian Whiting, who reminds us that “to be rich in friends is to be poor in nothing.”
2. Additional Kindergarten Class at Southwood School – Due to registration numbers of over 60, a second classroom and a third class is being established for September 2010. The school division is in the process of acquiring the necessary furnishings and supplies needed for the children to settle into this new space when they arrive in September.
3. Youth Leadership Scholarship Award Recipients - The board of trustees congratulates eight students from GVC who received Youth Leadership Scholarships. This award recognizes grade 12 students engaged in meaningful volunteer activities that promote leadership, citizenship and healthy living both in their communities and schools.
4. Zune in the Classroom – The board of trustees congratulates Jeff Osinski and Jon Funk, GVC teachers recognized by Microsoft Canada for their innovative work on a project creating interactive media content for the Zune media player to enhance reading and writing for grade 1 students in GVSD. Jeff and Jon will be attending an international competition in South Africa in the fall of 2010.
5. Teacher Hiring Completed for Next Year – Thirty-eight teaching positions have been filled. 85% of teachers hired are local candidates.
1. Prairie Dale School Construction – Construction has begun on Prairie Dale School in Schanzenfeld. Over 300 of the 500 piles needed for the foundation have been placed.
2. Projects Update – Construction is underway on the gym roof project at Plum Coulee School and GVCTEC Phase 5. In addition, renovations are taking place in the GVC administrative and student services offices. These three projects are expected to be completed for September 2010.
1. GVSD Parade Float – GVSD will once again enter a float in the Winkler Harvest Festival and Plum Coulee Plum Fest parades. Trustees look forward to meeting members of the community as they participate in this summer tradition.
2. Summer Holidays – The Board of Trustees wishes all staff, students and parents an enjoyable, safe and relaxing summer vacation. Many thanks are offered for the hard work and support that have made 2009-2010 another successful year. We look forward with great anticipation to September when we resume our mission of “creating great schools based on core community values and academic excellence”.