1. Inaugural Monthly Board Meeting for New Board of Trustees – Following a hectic month of orientations at the divisional and the provincial levels, the Board held its first regularly scheduled monthly board meeting on December 14. Board Chair, Mr. Sam Berg, welcomed both returning and new trustees as the Board resumes the important task of providing leadership to the division.
2. Garden Valley Collegiate Presentation – GVC teachers Jeff Osinski and Jonathon Funk provided a presentation on their recent trip to South Africa to present their innovative project using Zunes (MP3 Players). The teachers have been working with Kath Penner, a teacher at JR Walkof School, on designing student learning activities using Zunes. They received a Microsoft top 5 innovative project award in Canada that allowed them to compete in South Africa.
3. Provincial Announcement on Proposed Change in Compulsory School Age – On December 6, 2010 Minister of Education, Nancy Allen, announced that proposed legislation (Bill 13) would change the age at which students can legally drop out of school from 16 to 18. GVSD estimates there are over 100 students that will be affected by this legislation.
4. Prairie Dale School – An extensive process was undertaken to place students in Prairie Dale School for September 201; specifically students who currently attend Grade 7 at Emerado Centennial School but belong in the Prairie Dale catchment. Parents and students were consulted resulting in 15 students remaining at Emerado Centennial School for the 2011-2012 school year. The school division will continue to provide transportation to these 15 students during that time.
1. GVC Cafeteria – The Board has approved a motion to allocate up to $10,000 to support deficits incurred by the cafeteria for the 2010-2011 school year. The division approved a similar request for the 2009-2010 school year that saw the cafeteria deficit come in at around $6,800.00. The Board contribution, if needed, assists in maintaining affordable cafeteria prices.
1. Winter Bus Service – The Board reviewed how winter bus service in Winkler is being provided and agreed to continue the current process. The Board will schedule a meeting for Advisory Councils in early January to provide information on how winter bus routes are established.
2. Projects Update –
- Plum Coulee School Roof Project – Renovations to the gym and the school roof have been completed.
- GVCTEC – Phase 5, the Alternative Education classrooms, has been completed.
- Prairie Dale School – Construction is proceeding well. Walls and roof on the east end are insulated and the heat has been turned on. The geothermal field should be installed before the holidays and the outside brick block is just about complete.
- Northlands Parkway Collegiate – The planning meetings are nearing completion, allowing the architects to finalize construction drawings which will result in a spring construction tender process.
1. Strategic Planning Retreat – Every four years, after each election, the school division invites participants from various stakeholder groups to participate in a strategic planning process that sets divisional direction for the next 4 years. On January 20-21, 2011 a total of 36 individuals will meet with facilitator Dr. John Wiens to engage in dialogue, deliberation, and reflection that will assist the Board in charting GVSD’s course for the next four years.