1. Strategic Planning Retreat – On January 20-21, thirty-six individuals representing students, staff, and community members will meet with trustees and facilitator Dr. John Wiens to engage in discussion on the education system and what is important for us as a school division. The input from these meetings will be brought forth in a follow up meeting on February 28 when Trustees, Senior Administration and School Principals will create the goals and strategies for the divisional strategic plan.
2. Plum Coulee School Presentation – Principal Mary Eberling-Penner and teacher Bernie Loeppky highlighted middle years experiential learning projects. Trustees were fascinated with videos of grade 6 students and grade 8 students as they learned concepts of flight and floatation with an egg drop competition and a cardboard boat challenge. These fun hands-on projects have engaged students in their learning and helped build school spirit.
3. GVSD Enrolment – Student enrolment is 4276, down slightly from 4310 in September 2010. Due to enrolment growth slowing down, enrolment projections for the 2011-12 school year are 4310, same as this year!
4. Middle Years Assessment and Standards Tests Results – Results from the 2009-2010 middle years assessments and grade 12 standards tests reveal that the majority of students in Garden Valley School Division are performing at or above the provincial average in most areas. The Board acknowledges the great work of all staff in assisting our students to grow as learners and experience success in school. More information on these results can be found on the division’s website under Programs.
1. 2011-2012 Budget – The annual budget process is set to begin later this month with the anticipated Provincial Education funding announcement. The school board will meet several times, with school principals and various stakeholder groups, to receive input for consideration. The general public is invited to attend a budget consultation meeting February 22, 7:00 p.m. at the Emerado Centennial School. Trustees will also host an invitational breakfast meeting February 23 with representatives from the City of Winkler, the Town of Plum Coulee and neighbouring municipalities. GVSD will submit their 2011-2012 budget to municipalities by March 15 and to the Province by March 31.
1. Winter Bus Service – On January 10 the Board of Trustees held a public meeting at JR Walkof School to provide a presentation on “Winter Busing – How it Works”. The public was invited to provide feedback on the winter bus service for consideration by the school board as they plan for future years. A copy of the presentation can be found on the website www.gvsd.ca under Operations.
2. Project Updates
- Prairie Dale School – Construction is still on track for early summer completion. The roof decking is all on and the vapor barrier and insulation is nearly complete. Floor grinding and polishing began the week of January 10 and interior painting is scheduled to start in the next couple of weeks.
- Northlands Parkway Collegiate – Construction drawings are nearly completed with another integrated design meeting scheduled for January 25. The drawings are expected to go to tender in March with construction beginning in late spring.