1. Strategic Planning Retreat – January 20-21 – Participants engaged in numerous discussions around what it means to be an educated person, the core values held by the communities represented in the school division, and the opportunities available to GVSD. Trustees took this feedback to develop the beliefs, mission and major objectives for the division for the next 4 years. To view go to GVSD Mission and Belief Statements.
2. Southwood School Presentation – Principal David Hoeppner and teacher Vern Wall presented on a new experiential learning opportunity with students creating fishing tackle. This activity encourages students to become involved in environmental issues related to Manitoba’s waterways. Funding is being pursued to allow this project to continue into Prairie Dale School in 2011-2012.
3. Grade 3 Assessment Results – Grade 3 students continue to perform at or above the provincial average (2010/2011) in most areas. The Board acknowledges the great work of all staff in assisting our students to grow as learners and experience success in school. For more information on these results, please also click on the Elementary Assessment link on the school division website.
4. New Principal for Southwood School – The Board of Trustees congratulates Moyra Vallelly on the appointment to full time Principal of the Southwood Administration Unit, effective the 2011-2012 school year. Moyra is currently Vice Principal of Parkland Elementary School and was an Early Years classroom/Resource teacher at Winkler Elementary School.
1. 2011-2012 Budget – Following the provincial funding announcement, GVSD will see approximately $700,000 in new funding; and a Tax Incentive Grant of $496,000 if the mil rate is frozen. The Board and administration will host budget meetings: February 22 at Emerado Centennial School, 7:00 pm. for the public; and on February 23 with municipal representatives. Final budget to be submitted to the province by March 31.
Projects Update –
- Prairie Dale School – Construction is on track with vapor barrier and insulation nearly complete. Floor grinding and polishing continues and interior painting has started. Furnishings and equipment lists are being compiled.
- Northlands Parkway Collegiate – Project expected to go to tender in March, with construction beginning in late spring. The planning committee will now focus on preparing for the opening of NPC in September 2013.