1. Staffing Update –46 of the 50 posted positions are filled for 2011-2012. For current information on employment opportunities, please check the division website at www.gvsd.ca.
2. Leadership Development Cohort – In 2009, Garden Valley School Division, in collaboration with Border Land and Western school divisions, established a two year Leadership Development cohort program for teachers interested in leadership roles. 11 GVSD teachers participated. Year 1 focused on broad/general leadership principles and Year 2 on school leadership as a Principal. A second cohort will be starting this September
3. GVSD Technology Integration Plan 2011-2016 – The Technology Integration Plan (TIP) represents GVSD’s collaborative thinking about technology infusion in all curricula and will focus on the infusion of technology in student learning to prepare students to be successful in an ever changing technological world.
4. Early Literacy Intervention Review – A goal of the division strategic plan has been to review programs, departments and activities to improve efficiencies. An Early Literacy Intervention committee was established to review current early literacy intervention approaches in GVSD and neighboring school divisions and to maximize resources to positively affect student learning.
5. Winkler Elementary School Presentation – Principal Barbara Neufeld introduced Grade 2 teachers Cheryl C. and Stephanie H. who provided an overview of the Guided Math program, noting basic differences between the traditional approach to teaching numeracy and the guided math approach. Both teachers commented on the successes they are witnessing in their classrooms and thanked the board and school administration for their support.
1. March 31 Audited Statements – The March 31 audited financial statements indicate the projected June 30 year-end financial statements look favourable. It is anticipated that GVSD is expected to come within budget.
1. Projects Update –
a. Prairie Dale School – Brickwork is 95% complete; gym floor is partially installed and all floor polishing is expected to be completed by June 24. Preparation is underway for parking, sidewalks and bus loops. Construction on target for completion in July.
b. Northlands Parkway Collegiate – A sod-turning event is tentatively scheduled for September 30 to mark the milestone of the beginning of construction on the new high school for Garden Valley School Division. More information will be coming in September.
c. Air Conditioning Project at WES –The tender has come in over projection. The Board has approved additional funds to cover the costs and proceed with the necessary renovations as soon as possible. Renovations are expected to start over the summer and be complete in early September.
2. Manitoba Education Projects – The Province recently announced a program where older schools can apply to have ugrades/enhancements done to existing gymnasiums. A request was submitted for the Winkler Elementary School auditorium but unfortunately was not successful. Special provincial funding has also been announced for science room renewals and applications for Garden Valley Collegiate, Plum Coulee School, and Border Valley School were submitted.
3. Five-Year Capital Plan – All divisions in Manitoba must annually submit a five-year capital plan indicating the anticipated capital construction needs of the division for the next 5 years. The submission deadline to the Public Schools Finance Board is August 1, with the plan being available on the GVSD website soon thereafter.