1. Enrolment Update – Preliminary student enrolment reported by schools is 4350, an increase of 50 students over September 2010.
2. GVC Teen Clinic – An advisory committee of education and community stakeholders has been established to provide recommendations to the Board on the possible implementation of a teen clinic for GVC and Northlands Parkway Collegiate. Stakeholder groups include: Students, Staff, Trustees, School Administration, Senior Administration, Ministerial, Winkler Area Youth Leaders, The Bunker, Parent Advisory Councils, the Regional Health Authority, Dr. C.W. Wiebe Medical Center, Mental Health, and City of Winkler Police.
3. NPC Transitions Committee – During the 2010-2011 school year a Transitions Committee was established to prepare for the opening of Northlands Parkway Collegiate. The committee mandate is to make recommendations to the School Board regarding the process required to transition from one to two GVSD high schools. The committee will resume its work starting on September 16.
1. Capital Reserve Funds – In preparation for future capital projects, the Board of Trustees approved the establishment of two capital reserve funds:
a. $800,000 for Garden Valley Collegiate renovations
b. $325,000 for the relocation of the GVSD Maintenance Shop
1. Projects Update
a. Prairie Dale School – PDS is open! A grand opening is scheduled for October 28, 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm. Ceremony activities include a ribbon cutting, student performances, laying of a time capsule / cornerstone and tours for the public.
b. Northlands Parkway Collegiate – Construction has begun and a sod-turning event has been scheduled for October 13 at 1:00 pm to mark the milestone of the beginning of construction on the new high school for Garden Valley School Division.
c. Air Conditioning Projects Complete
The air conditioning projects for Winkler Elementary School (south wing), Hochfeld School, and Blumenfeld School were completed over the summer.
2. Joint Facility Use Agreement – The Board passed a motion to adopt a joint facility use agreement with the City of Winkler to provide greater public access to community and division facilities.
3. Winter Games Bid – The Board approved a motion to support the Winkler/Morden bid to host the 2014 Manitoba Winter Games. If successful, the school division will provide facilities and transportation for the athletes.
1. Board Review of Committee Structure – The Board will review their current committee structure and examine other models for conducting the business of the school division. There are currently four standing committees: Education, Operations, Finance, and Executive. These committees meet once a month and submit a report to the board at the monthly board meeting.
2. Board Reorganization – The annual September event resulted in no changes:
Chair – Sam Berg
Vice Chair / Education Chair – Tash Olfert
Finance Chair – Brenda Willey
Operations Chair – Edwin Guenther