1. Grade 12 Standards Tests Results for 2010-2011 – Semester 2 results indicate that GVC students are continuing to perform at or slightly above the provincial average on the standards tests for Applied Math, Pre-calculus Math, Consumer Math, and English Language Arts.
2. Teen Clinic Report – An advisory committee with community representation has conducted a survey with high school students to get their input into the possibility of a teen clinic located in GVSD high schools.
3. Border Valley School Presentation – A team of teachers from Border Valley School provided a presentation called, “A Small School with A Lot Happening”. Highlights included leadership teams, extra-curricular activities, the first ever spring drama, and the farm program. The Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser raised over $12,000 for the Heart and Stroke Foundation, the second highest in the province!
4. NPC Transitions Committee Report – The committee has recommended the board provide opportunities for input on the catchments for GVC and NPC from stakeholder groups including students, staff, parents, and the community. Focus group meetings will be scheduled during the months of February and March 2012. The Board will make a final decision on high school catchments for October 2012.
1. Request for Audit Services – The current audit services agreement has expired and the school board has agreed to put out a call for bids to provide audit services for the next term.
2. 2012-2013 Budget Process – As last year, the finance committee will do the preliminary work for the 2012-2013 budget process. Process dates will be announced at the December Board meeting.
1. JR Walkof Sidewalk – The City of Winkler is exploring options for improving pedestrian traffic along Southview Drive. The board agreed that upgrades like wider sidewalks and bike paths would increase student safety and benefit the entire community.
2. GVSD Maintenance Shop Renovation – With the capital reserve fund application of $325,000 approved by the Public Schools Finance Board, the board requested senior administration begin the planning process for converting the cold storage building at GVCTEC to a maintenance shop.
3. Proposed Walkway between Prairie Dale and Southwood schools – Discussions have taken place with the RM of Stanley to address pedestrian traffic concerns at Prairie Dale. Discussion around walkway options will continue with school neighbours - the Municipality and the Zion Church.