1. 2012-2013 Budget
· The 2012-13 budget was approved with projected increases in both revenues and expenditures. Provincial operating grants for GVSD increased 7.8%.
· The net result will be a slight increase in the special levy of 0.17%.
· The mil rate will decrease by 1.9 mils to 19.12.
· The percentage increase in education property taxes on an average assessed home will be 0.06%.
· For more information on the budget, please check the GVSD website at www.gvsd.ca.
2. Public Consultations on High School Catchments
· The division will be hosting 4 meetings with the public to discuss and gather feedback on school catchments and how to assign students to each school.
· March 21 @ 7:00 pm – Plum Coulee School and Winkler Elementary School
· March 22 @ 7:00 pm – Garden Valley Collegiate and Prairie Dale School
3. Grade 3 Assessment Results
· Trustees reviewed the grade 3 assessment results for schools in GVSD for 2011/12. It was noted that GVSD students are performing at or slightly above provincial averages in most categories in literacy and numeracy.
· It was also noted that 39% of grade 3 students in the division are considered English as an Additional Language (EAL) students.
4. GVSD Phone System
· Trustees approved to upgrade the outdated analogue phone systems throughout the division over the next 2 years to a voice over internet protocol (VOIP) system.
· This upgrade will allow for future cost savings in the form of reducing the number of phone lines needed in each facility.
5. New Teacher’s Contract with Garden Valley Teachers’ Association
· An agreement-in-committee on a new contract with the Garden Valley Teacher’s Association was approved by Trustees.
· This approval is subject to ratification by the GVTA.
6. Library System Software Upgrade
· Based on recommendations from the GVSD library committee, Trustees approved the purchase of a new software package to upgrade the current library system.
· The new system will be implemented before the end of the current school year.
7. Provincial Report Cards
· Schools in Garden Valley will be implementing the new provincial report cards for grades 1-8 in the fall of 2012.
· Implementation of the high school provincial report card will take place in 2013.
8. School Bus Safety Poster Contest
· Congratulations to David of JR Walkof School on winning the K-3 provincial poster contest on school bus safety.
· David receives a new bicycle for his winning efforts.
· The poster contest is organized by the Manitoba Association of School Business Officials, in partnership with Fairway Specialty Vehicle Sales. This year’s theme was, “I See the Driver, The Driver Sees Me”.