1. Board Reorganization
· The board completed its annual reorganization.
Left to Right:
Ed Rempel - Operations Chair (Committee: Cindy Smart, Sam Berg)
Leah Klassen - Education Chair (Committee: Brenda Willey, Darrel Wiebe)
Laurie Dyck - Board Vice Chair and Finance Chair (Committee: Tash Olfert, Edwin Guenther)
Sam Berg – Board Chair
2. Literacy Initiative
· Grade 1 and 2 teachers will be receiving training on the student assessment kits on September 13 and 18, 2012.
· Data will be collected during September and presented to the Board at the October Board meeting.
· The Literacy Steering Committee, consisting of representatives from each elementary school, will use this data to formulate an action plan for the 2012-2013 school year.
3. Construction Updates
· NPC – Construction is continuing to proceed on schedule.
· GVSD Maintenance Shop – Penner Construction has been awarded the tender for this project. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of December 2012.
· WES Gym Floor – The new hardwood floor is being installed and should be completed by the end of September.
· Border Valley Staff Room Addition – Architectural drawings are complete and the project is ready to go to tender with construction to begin this fall.
· GVC Renovations – The Board is working with GVC and the architects to develop preliminary drawings and gather cost estimates.
4. NPC Daycare
· The new high school will have a day care attached.
· Family Services is responsible for establishing an independent day care board as well as finding potential day care providers.
· GVSD will be responsible for the selection of the daycare provider who reports to the independent day care board.
· More information will be coming from Angela Wall, Child Care Co-ordinator - Family Services and Labour Community Service Delivery
5. Provincial 20k3 Initiative
· On June 14, 2012 the province announced that:
· by September 2017, 90% of the K to 3 classrooms within a school division shall have 20 or fewer students (calculation date will be Sept. 30 annually).
· by September 2017, 10% of K to 3 classrooms within a school division will be permitted to exceed the 20 student cap but not exceed 23 students (as calculated Sept. 30 annually).
· The division will begin formulating a 5-year implementation plan in consultation with Manitoba Education and the Public Schools Finance Branch to reach compliance by September 2017.
· In order to reach compliance, GVSD will require additional classrooms throughout the division.