1. High School Catchments
- The Board announced the catchments for the 2 high schools.
- A feeder school system will be used to assign students to their respective high school.
- Students completing gr. 8 in Emerado, Plum Coulee, Border Valley and Blumenfeld will attend Northlands Parkway Collegiate.
- Students completing gr. 8 in Winkler Elementary, Parkland, Prairie Dale, and Hochfeld will attend Garden Valley Collegiate.
- Students not from a GVSD Gr. 8 school will be placed based on geographic address and siblings.
- For complete details on the decision and a history of the process leading to the decision, please visit the GVSD website at www.gvsd.ca.
2. GVC Presentation
- Jonathan Funk and Kathy Byrka presented 2 new courses being offered at GVC this school year – manufacturing design and horticulture.
- Manufacturing design focuses on creating three-dimensional prototypes using computer technology and a three-dimensional printer.
- Horticulture components concentrate on greenhouse maintenance, plant propagation and production, organic food production, landscape construction and design, integrated pest management, small engines, floristry, arboriculture, Aboriginal medicinal plants, prairie weeds, and environmental and sustainability issues.
3. Literacy Initiative
- Literacy assessments for all grade 1 and 2 students in the division have been completed.
- Data from these assessments will be discussed with principals, staff, and the literacy steering committee to develop an action plan to support schools in working with students who may be reading below grade level.
4. Construction Updates
- The tender for the addition to the staff room at the Border Valley School has come in much higher than what was budgeted.
- The School Board is considering various options before making a final decision on how to proceed.
5. Strategic Plan Update
- The Superintendent provided an update on the 2012-2013 strategic plan.
- The priorities of the 2012-2013 strategic plan are to implement programs focused on social justice, sustainability, and service learning and to focus on educational practices that improve student learning.
6. Annual Audit
- The 2011-2012 consolidated financial statements from the auditors were presented and approved by the Board.
7. Student Enrolment
- September 30, 2012 student enrolment numbers are 4335, which is 45 students more than the previous year.
- This is slightly less than projections but most schools are fairly close to projected numbers.