1. Additional Kindergarten Class at JR Walkof School
- Due to growing Kindergarten enrolment at JR Walkof School, the Board approved a 5th kindergarten class to open Jan. 7, 2013.
- Renovations to an existing space will be done in December and over the Christmas break.
2. Prairie Dale School Presentation
- Principal David Hoeppner and teacher Annie Froese, supported by several other staff members from the school, presented a video which highlighted the literacy initiative in Prairie Dale School, specifically the focus on non-fiction reading and expository writing.
- The video demonstrated how all aspects of the school are working together to focus on literacy with every student.
3. Standards Tests Results – Semester 2, 2011-2012
- Overall results from semester 2 indicate that gr. 12 students in GVSD performed at or slightly above their provincial counterparts in English Language Arts, Applied Math, and Pre-Calculus Math.
- The one exception is Gr. 12 Consumer Math, where GVSD students performed below the provincial averages.
4. Construction Updates
- The tender submissions for the addition to the staff room at the Border Valley School have come in much higher than what was budgeted.
- The School Board has decided to review the scope of the project with the consultant and re-tender in the coming months.
5. Winter Bus Service
- An additional bus has been added to the winter service fleet.
- As in past years, there continues to be difficulties in recruiting drivers for this service.
6. Literacy Action Plan
- The Board reviewed and approved the draft literacy action plan for 2012-2013.
- The GVSD Literacy Goals include:
- By June 2013, all students in grades 1 and 2 will experience gains in literacy, with 85% of students reading at or above grade level.
- By June 2014, all students in grades 1 and 2 will experience gains in literacy, with 90% of students reading at or above grade level.
- The action plan will now be implemented and reviewed by the Literacy Steering Committee in January, April and June.
- Spring assessment results will be shared with the Board in June 2013.