1. 2013-2014 Division Strategic Plan
There are 2 primary goals:
a. Literacy – the literacy initiative will include Kindergarten and grade 3. “By June 2014, grade 1-3 students will increase reading levels, 85% at or above grade level.”
b. Professional Learning Communities - All schools will establish Learning Teams with official meeting times scheduled on the school calendar. The teams will identify a goal, identify essential learning understandings, develop common assessments, and analyze data to adjust instruction.
2. 2013-2014 Divisional Budget
- Provincial funding increased by $890,000 (3.6%)
- Expenditures projected to increase by about $4.3M (11.0%)
- Local Education property taxes will increase by about 3.6% due to an approved mil rate increase of 0.69
- Impact on a home with an assessed value of $250,000 – increase of about $77.00
- Accumulated surplus to be drawn down by an estimated $1.0M
- New expenditure highlights
- Literacy Initiative - $20,000 increase
- Reduce student user fees - $70,000
- IT infrastructure equipment upgrade - $70,000
- Clinical Services – 2.0 FTE Clinicians (Social Work & School Psychology)
- Startup costs for Northlands Parkway Collegiate - $1.5M
- Expand transportation services - $370,000 (12 new bus routes)
- 15 additional school buses - $1.5M
- Garden Valley Collegiate Renovation Project to commence immediately
3. Bill 18 – Safe and Inclusive Schools
The Board is in the process of reviewing the proposed Bill. Remaining steps include:
- Meeting with the Education Minister later this week.
- Meeting with representatives from GVSD Parent Advisory Councils in the upcoming weeks.
4. Grade 3 Assessment Results
- Trustees reviewed the grade 3 assessment results for schools in GVSD for 2012/13. It was noted that GVSD students are performing comparable to provincial averages in most categories in literacy and numeracy.
- It was also noted that 33% of grade 3 students in the division are considered English as an Additional Language (EAL) students.
5. Former Maintenance Shop
- The Public Schools Finance Board has given the division approval to dispose of the old maintenance shop located on the Winkler Elementary School property.
- GVSD would like to have the building relocated to another site to provide more space on the school property.
6. Portables Request
- Garden Valley School Division has submitted a request to the Public Schools Finance Board to acquire a portable classroom to accommodate additional washroom facilities at J.R. Walkof Elementary School.
- With continued growth at the school, there has been an increasing need for additional washroom facilities.
7. Board Meeting Schedule
- Due to spring break, the regularly scheduled board meeting for March 26 @ 8:00 am has been canceled.
- The next board meeting will take place on April 9 @ 8:00 pm.