1. Proposed Bill 18
· After several months of consultation and considering feedback from school parent advisory councils, the Garden Valley School Division School Board stated:
GVSD will continue to make schools safe and inclusive by honoring the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, provincial legislation and divisional policy on bullying.
Regarding proposed Bill 18, the Board's suggestion to the Education Minister is to re-word the definition of bullying and remove section 41 (1.8) 'Respect for Human Diversity Policy'.
Rationale: Section 41(1.8) privileges some students and excludes others. This is a section 15 Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms violation to equal treatment. To protect or grant special privileges to a few types of groups of students at the exclusion of other students cannot be justified. This is the inherent problem with listing groups that deserve protection: some are always left out. Fundamentally, every student should receive equal protection and equal opportunity.
2. Northlands Parkway Collegiate
· A grand opening event is tentatively being planned for late October, 2013.
3. Manitoba Association of Parent Councils (MAPC)
· The School Board will cover the membership costs for school parent councils wishing to participate in MAPC, a provincial organization that provides a voice and services for school parent councils.