1. Literacy Initiative 2012-2013
· As part of the 2012-2013 strategic plan, the school board established a literacy goal as follows:
. By June 2013, all students in grades 1 and 2 will experience gains in literacy, with 85% of students reading at or above grade level.
· Trustees reviewed the assessment data from schools regarding the literacy initiative for grades 1 and 2 students. A celebration was noted that although the goal had not been reached this year, divisionally the number of students reading at or above grade level has increased to approximately 73%, an increase of 26% from September assessments.
· The school board acknowledges the hard work of all staff in working toward the literacy goal and offers congratulations to staff, students and parents on their accomplishments.
· The 2013-2014 Literacy Action Plan will also include the assessing of grade 3 students, in addition to grade 1 and 2 students, as well as a focus on literacy in kindergarten.