1. Winkler Elementary School Presentation
- Principal Barb Neufeld and Vice Principal Rick Sawatzky provided an overview of the changes that have been taking place around middle years education at Winkler Elementary School.
- The school has been moving from a traditional junior high model to one based on middle years philosophy. A copy of the GVSD middle years philosophy paper can be found on our website at www.gvsd.ca.
- One of the changes has been the implementation of exploratory courses for students that cover such topics as: sports, early childhood development, digital photography, drama, electricity, hand drumming, outdoor survival, and many more.
2. Annual Public Budget Consultation Meeting
- On Wednesday, February 26 @ 7:00 pm there will be a public consultation meeting regarding the 2014-2015 school division budget at Northlands Parkway Collegiate.
- All community members and staff are invited to attend and provide input on the 2014-2015 budget.
- There will also be an open house at Northlands Parkway Collegiate starting at 5:00 pm on the same evening. This is a great opportunity to take care of two things at once: tour the new school and participate in the budget consultation meeting!
3. Projected Student Enrolment Numbers
- In light of declining student numbers throughout this school year and a projected lower number of kindergarten students for September 2014, the school division is projecting a decline in overall student numbers for 2014-2015. Preliminary projections indicate a student enrolment of 4234, which is lower than the current student count of 4277.
- A lower student enrolment may result in less staffing for the next school year. The exact impact will only be determined after kindergarten registrations take place February 3 – 14 and the budget process.
4. School Speed Zones
- At the request of City Council, the School Board provided recommendations regarding speed zones around schools in the City of Winkler.
- City Council will take these recommendations into consideration as part of the deliberations on reduced speeds in school zones.
5. Old Maintenance Shop
- After receiving no bids on the removal of the old maintenance shop (“White House”) from its existing site next to Winkler Elementary School, the Board is considering acquiring pricing to have the building demolished and the site cleaned up.
6. Revised Date for March Board Meeting
- In light of the altered spring break this year to accommodate the Manitoba Winter Games that are being hosted in the region, the regularly scheduled public board meeting for March will be moved to Tuesday, March 18 @ 8:00 pm.