1. Inaugural Monthly Board Meeting for New Board of Trustees – Following a hectic month of orientations at the divisional and the provincial levels, the Board held its first regularly scheduled monthly board meeting on December 14. Board Chair, Mr. Sam Berg, welcomed both returning and new trustees as the Board resumes the important task of providing leadership to the division.
1. Prairie Dale School – On October 13 Garden Valley School Division will hold 2 meetings to discuss the transition of Southwood catchment students currently attending grade 7 at Emerado Centennial School to Prairie Dale School. The first meeting will take place with students at lunch time to get their input and then with the parents/guardians at 7:30 pm at Southwood School. The feedback from these meetings will assist the School Board in making decisions regarding Prairie Dale School startup.
1. GVC Graduation – Congratulations to the 255 GVC students who graduated with a high school diploma. The School Board encourages the class of 2010 with the words of Lilian Whiting, who reminds us that “to be rich in friends is to be poor in nothing.”
1. Welcome Back – Superintendent Reimer offered these words of welcome to all staff and students for the 2010 -2011 school year; “I truly hope you have had a relaxing summer spending time with family and friends. We’re excited about the upcoming school year and look forward to an incredible time of learning, growth, and personal development for all students and staff.”
1. Border Valley School Presentation – During the 2009-2010 school year, Border Valley School had two teachers pilot student led conferences. Teacher Patrick Derksen presented a video explaining how student led conferences work. Students, parents, and teachers interviewed commented on the benefits of student led conferences.