As per GVSD Board policy (Current Code: EEAEA), the duties of bus drivers are defined below:
Position: School Bus Driver
Reports to: Supervisor of Operations
A school bus driver’s primary responsibility is to provide safe transport of students at all times. They shall
maintain a neat, clean and safe work environment. Drivers are responsible to create and maintain a positive
working relationship with students, staff and parents.
1. Drivers shall abide by the regulations outlined in the Public Schools Act, Highway Traffic Act and School Board Policies.
2. Drivers must be safety conscious and use all equipment properly to ensure the safety of all persons and other vehicles at all times.
3. Drivers must maintain order and discipline on their school bus.
4. Drivers shall consider the ages and needs of the students as they perform their duties.
5. Through their knowledge of school policy and bus safety rules, drivers shall communicate with parents in promoting a cooperative safety focus for children.
6. Drivers shall work collegially and professionally with colleagues from a base of mutual respect.
7. Drivers must be in good physical and mental health to perform their duties safely and efficiently. If unable to perform their duties they must inform their supervisor.
8. Drivers must ensure the bus is road worthy before each trip as per the designated pre-trip inspection procedure.
9. Drivers shall positively and professionally represent the Division while performing their duties.
10. Drivers, on occasion, may be asked to perform other duties as assigned by their supervisor or designate.