Employment Insurance

Important Notice for School Related Employees – 2010


Applying for Employment Insurance


Each year Service Canada makes every effort to ensure processing of EI claims for workers in school related occupations is as seamless as possible.  When we receive accurate information, it reduces delays in processing your application and helps us serve you better.  The following information is provided to assist you in completing your application for benefits.

How and when to apply

Please be sure to submit your application as soon as you stop working.  You must complete the application for EI benefits online. You can use any computer with Internet access and visit the Service Canada Web site at www.servicecanada.gc.ca. From the “Online Services and Forms” menu, click on “Apply for Employment Insurance Benefits.”

Do not wait more than 4 weeks after your last week of work to file your application or you may lose benefits.

Note: While completing your application for benefits, in the Employment History section, for the “Gaps in Employment” question DO NOT tell us about any gaps in employment in which you received Employment Insurance benefits as that will delay the processing of your claim. For example if you collected EI benefits during the Christmas break, DO NOT include that break information  in the “Gaps in Employment” question.

Reactivating Existing Claim – New Process

If you started a new EI claim within the last 52 weeks and there are still weeks payable on that claim, you will be presented with the renewal application when you apply and we will reactivate (renew) your existing claim

If your claim cannot be reactivated for any reason, this application will be considered for a new claim.

If there are 4 weeks or less payable on your claim and you do not work after your claim is reactivated, you will not need to complete another application for a new claim once your existing claim ends.  In all other cases, you will have to file a new application once you receive your final payment notice for your existing claim.

If you prefer to start a new claim instead, please contact us at 1-800-206-7218 prior to beginning your application.  Your decision to start a new claim is final and cannot be reversed.  Some considerations to be aware of before making this decision are: 

  • If your claim is reactivated and you work after the start of the claim, you may be able to establish a new claim when your existing claim runs out.
  • In order to establish a new claim you must have enough insurable hours and meet the qualifying condition for a new claim.
  • If a new claim is established instead of reactivating your existing claim, the remaining weeks payable on the existing claim will be lost.
  • A two-week unpaid waiting period must be served on a new claim before you are entitled to receive payment.

Submitting your Records of Employment

If your employer submits ROEs electronically to Service Canada, you do not need to request a copy of your Record of Employment from your employer. However, should you wish to obtain a copy of your ROE that has been submitted electronically, you can do so via My Service Canada Account (MSCA) at the following Website: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/online/mysca.shtml

If your employer issues Records of Employment (ROEs) in paper format, you must request copies of all ROEs issued during the last 52 weeks. You will need to provide us with these paper ROEs - we cannot finalize your application until we receive them. You must either mail us your paper ROEs or drop them off in person at a Service Canada Centre. The Service Canada Centre addresses will be provided once you have completed your online application.

Reference Code

A reference code has been assigned to facilitate the processing of school board claims.  When you begin the online application process, you will be asked to enter a reference code. Your reference code is: (4121012010SCHOOL).  The reference code is case sensitive so enter it exactly as shown.

Be sure to apply between (JUNE 21, 2010 TO JULY 31, 2010), since your reference code is only valid during that time period.  However, you can contact us before you apply to advise us that you will be terminating your existing claim and opening a new one.

Note:  The reference code should only be used if you are applying for regular benefits for the summer break.  Do not use the reference code if any of the following applies to you:

  • the reason for separation from your employment is other than a temporary layoff or shortage of work,
  • you are applying for special benefits, i.e. sickness, maternity, parental or compassionate care benefits 
  • you are pregnant and you would like to automatically switch to maternity benefits immediately after collecting regular benefits.
  • Your occupation is in teaching.


back to Web Voucher page