1. 2010-11 Early Kindergarten Registration – The early registration numbers for the 2010-2011 school year indicate that 310 new students have registered to start kindergarten in GVSD schools in September 2010, which is up slightly from previous years. Parents who may have missed the early registration period can still contact the schools to arrange registration.
2. 2010-2011 School Year Calendar – The Board approved the 2010-2011 school year calendar. The first day of classes will be September 8 for most students, with Christmas break running from December 23 to January 5, Spring Break going from March 28 to April 1, and the last day of classes for the year occurring on June 30. For more information on the 2010-2011 calendar, please visit our website at www.gvsd.ca
1. 2010-2011 GVSD Budget - The 2010/11 budget is $36 million, an increase of $2.7 million over last year’s budget. Provincial funding, which covers 70% of operating expenditures, was increased by 3%. The remaining 30% comes from local taxation known as the special levy. Last year’s special levy increased by 19.3% and raised $1.8 million additional dollars that covered increased operating costs and purchased land for two new schools - Prairie Dale School and Northlands Parkway Collegiate. This year’s special levy will increase by 19.8%, raising an additional half million dollars totaling $2.3 million. The additional $500,000 will be used to help construct and open Prairie Dale School, scheduled for occupancy in September 2011. For the entire GVSD 2010/11 budget presentation see our website at www.gvsd.ca
1. Prairie Dale School - The Prairie Dale School project will be going to tender in early spring, with an anticipated construction start date before summer. The school is scheduled to open in September 2011.
2. GVC TEC – The final phase of renovations that includes classroom space and administrative office space at GVCTEC will go to tender in early spring. Construction is scheduled to take place over the summer of 2010.
1. Garden Valley Collegiate Principal Resigns – After 36 years of service to Garden Valley Collegiate, Mr. Dan Giesbrecht has announced his resignation as principal, effective June 30, 2010. Mr. Giesbrecht’s vision for excellence, pragmatic work ethic, and unwavering loyalty to GVC has resulted in thousands of students and hundreds of staff members greatly benefiting from their experiences at Garden Valley Collegiate. We wish Mr. Giesbrecht all the best in his future endeavors.