1. COVID-19 Updates:
• Teaching and learning is taking place via the remote learning packages as well as through online programming.
• During the month of June, each K-8 student will have the opportunity to go to school for one ½ day in order to have closure for this year, provide transition to next year as well as any final assessments that may be needed. Each Gr. 9-12 student will have the opportunity to make appointments to meet with each of their teachers.
• For information and continued updates, please see the GVSD website at www.gvsd.ca.
2. GVSD Five Year Capital Plan:
• Each year all school divisions are required to submit a 5-year capital plan to the Public Schools Finance Branch.
• The GVSD Board submitted 3 requests for renovations to existing facilities:
o WES – gym roof and exterior replacement
o GVC - building envelop replacement
o JR Walkof – portable link hallway replacement
3. Early Years Provincial Assessments
• The Grade 3 provincial assessment results for schools in GVSD for 2019/20 were reviewed.
• It was noted that GVSD students are performing above provincial averages in literacy, with 93.7% approaching and meeting grade level where the province had 83.6%. Since the start of the GVSD early years literacy initiative in 2012-2013 there has been a significant increase in the percentage of students meeting Grade 3 reading expectations.
• In numeracy, GVSD Grade 3 students are also performing above the provincial averages, with 90.3% approaching and meeting grade level where the province had 86.9%.
• 49% of the current Grade 3 students in GVSD are considered English as an Additional Language (EAL) students.
4. Gr. 12 Provincial Standards Tests Results – Semester 1 – 2019-2020
• Gr. 12 Essential Math - Higher than the provincial average in both mean scores and pass rates
o Mean score = 63.3 57.3
o Pass rate = 80.3 65.2
• Gr. 12 Pre-Calculus – Lower than the provincial average in mean score and pass rate
o Mean score = 59.8 69.1
o Pass rate = 59.6 79.6
• Gr. 12 English Language Arts – Lower than the provincial average for both mean score and pass rate
o Mean Score = 62.2 69.5
o Pass rate = 76.9 89.4
• Gr. 12 Applied Math – Higher than the provincial average for both mean score and pass rate
o Mean Score = 61.1 58.9
o Pass Rate = 81.8 69.1
• Assessment data is reviewed by schools and teachers in their Professional Learning Communities with the goal to improve student achievement.
5. Board Meetings for 2020-2021:
• The GVSD public board meetings will take place on the second Tuesday of each month, with a new start time of 7:00 p.m.