Employment Insurance Information

Important Notice for School Related Employees - 2009

Each year Service Canada makes every effort to ensure processing of EI claims for workers in school related occupations is as seamless as possible. The following information is provided to assist you in completing your application for benefits. When we receive accurate information, it reduces delays in processing your application and helps us serve you better.

How and when to apply
You must complete the application for EI benefits online. To do so, use any computer with Internet access and visit the Service Canada Web site at www.servicecanada.gc.ca. From the “Online Services and Forms” menu, click on “Apply for Employment Insurance Benefits.”

Submitting your Records of Employment
To calculate your claim, we must receive your application and a Record of Employment (ROE) from every employer you worked for during the last 52 weeks. If previous employers issued you paper ROEs, you must mail them to us or drop them off at your local Service Canada Centre as soon as possible.

It is expected that your school board will issue your ROE between July 6 and July 24, therefore you are encouraged to submit your application around the same time to ensure prompt service. However, do not delay in filing more than four weeks after your last week of work or you may lose benefits.

Note: ROEs with Serial Numbers starting with “W” or “S” are submitted to us electronically; therefore you do not need to submit a copy. All other ROEs must be mailed to or dropped off at your local Service Canada Centre as soon as possible.

Reference code
A reference code has been assigned to facilitate the processing of school board claims. When you begin the online application process, the program will ask you to enter a reference code. Your reference code is: 4160-01-2009-258355. The reference code is case sensitive so enter it exactly as shown.

Be sure to apply between July 1 and July 24, since your reference code is only valid during that time period.

Note: The reference code should only be used if you’re applying for regular benefits for the summer break. Do not use the reference code if any of the following applies to you:
the reason for separation from your employment is other than a temporary layoff or shortage of work,
you are applying for special benefits, i.e. sickness, maternity, parental or compassionate care benefits
you are pregnant and you would like to automatically switch to maternity benefits immediately after collecting regular benefits.

Are you now or will you be receiving a pension within the next 52 weeks? If so, you will need to provide us with the type of pension, the monthly amount, and the date your pension originally started.