Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry Checks

New employees are required to immediately provide a current (within 6 months) Criminal Record Check and a current (within 6 months) Child Abuse Registry Check.

Exception for current staff:  If you are currently employed with the GVSD, either in a regular staff position or active as a substitute/casual employee, and the results of your Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry Checks are  on file, you are not required to include these documents when applying for a new/alternate position or to have them re-done unless specifically requested to do so.

How to Obtain a Criminal Record Check

 For applicants NOT charged with or convicted of a criminal or other offense -

If you reside in Winkler, you can obtain a Criminal Record Check in Winkler by attending the Winkler Police Service located at 185 Main Street, Winkler.

If you reside outside of Winkler, please attend to your local police service or RCMP detachment.

You will be required to complete a Request For a Criminal Record Check Form, provide photo identification for verification, and submit the applicable processing fee.

Please note that you will be employed in a “position of trust” (i.e., a position that requires an individual to work with children, seniors or challenged persons) and, as such, you must inform the police service of this and authorize them to conduct a Vulnerable Sector Search as part of the Criminal Record Check.

For applicants charged with or convicted of a criminal or other offense -

If you have been charged with or convicted of a criminal or other offense, you will be required to obtain and provide to the Garden Valley School Division a complete listing of all convictions. This can only be obtained by completing a Finger Print Criminal Record Check with a police service.

Disclosure of a criminal record will not necessarily preclude you from being considered for a position with GVSD; however, you will be required to meet with the Human Resources Manager to discuss the disposition of your criminal record and how it affects your prospect for employment with the division.

How to Obtain a Child Abuse Registry Check

The Child Abuse Registry Check shall be completed at the GVSD office.