Medical Insurance

medical insurance 3Medical Insurance

Garden Valley School Division recommends that all international students obtain private health insurance for their time of stay in Manitoba. We advise you to keep your health insurance* card with you during your program. If you are under 18 years old, your parents must sign a Custodian Declaration for you to study in Manitoba. This Custodian Declaration allows your host family to have legal responsibility for you while you are in Manitoba. If you are ill or injured and need emergency treatment, your host family will be able to consent to the treatment for you. This Custodian Declaration expires when you turn 18.

At the age of 18 you will be considered an adult by Canadian law and will be able to consent to your own medical treatment. The Custodian Declaration also expires at the end of the school year. If you have a medical condition, make sure that your school or division knows in case of an emergency.

* Travel health insurance policies vary greatly. Make sure that you have enough medical insurance coverage and take the time to learn the details of your insurance package. For example, students should find out if they will be required to pay upfront for medical treatment or if their insurer will pay for their treatment immediately. This is particularly important for students who take part in activities such as playing hockey, football, skiing, scuba diving, and white water rafting, which may be considered high risk and not be covered by the travel health insurance policy.